Tuesday, August 26, 2008

This goes out to all of my Stay-at-Home Friends

Last night I volunteered to help the Clemson Alpha Chi Omega chapter count votes for recruitment. Let's stop there first - all of the lingo has changed. It is no longer Rush (now it is Recruitment), no more rushees (PNM - Potential New Members), no more Rho Chi's (they are now known as Pi Chis) and lot's of other lingo changes that I cannot remember. The parties finished at 10:50 pm. That is very late for me already, but I stayed and the alums entered the votes to prepare the bid list. The other alums are all "outside of the house working women." I am the only stay-at-home mom. I didn't get home until 4 a.m.

In preparation for the long hours, someone suggested each of us take a computer and enter the votes into an Excel spreadsheet. Everyone pulls out their laptops, except me. So, someone went down the hall and borrowed one from a sister for me to use. In order to have the list of PNMs to work with, we had to use a flash drive. Everyone is uploading the list with the flash drive, except me. Because I have no idea how to use this thing! I say out loud to the other ladies, "will someone show me how to use this?" I swear to you they looked at me like I had asked "what is email?" These flash drives must be commonplace now in the outside world, but not at my job. As my friend Lindsay pointed out to me today - 'no one has ever had to use a flash drive to get from the zoo to Chick-fil-A!' I have laughed about this all day. If I am ever going to re-enter the working world, I am going to have to take a computer class to get up to speed. I mean, I blog and I have a Blackberrry - I thought I was pretty in the know, but evidently not! I have to go - Bart needs to do his live fantasy football draft!

No comments: