I am taking a 34-week Bible study at church called, Disciple 1. I am thoroughly enjoying it and gaining so much. By the end of the study, we will have read about 80% of the Bible. Our minister, Smoke, is leading the study. He is tremendously knowledgeable and truly has a gift of teaching. We are currently reading Exodus and Deuteronomy and learning about the laws and order. This verse stuck with me today:
Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever. Deuteronomy 5:29
The footnote says that God told Moses that he wanted the people to want to respect and obey him. There is a difference between doing something because it is required and doing something because we want to. God is not interested in forced religious exercises and rule-keeping. He wants our hearts and lives completely dedicated to him. If we love him, obedience will follow.
This really spoke to me. I am a stubborn person and a lot of the time I think my way is best, but this reminded me that God has a plan. If we love Him, obedience will follow. He wants all of me, not just the portion I am willing to give. He wants me to want to give Him everything.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love the blog! And your darling pictures!! I know these people!!!
Looking forward to our Bible Study in the morning!
Blessings,
Susan
Small world....I am doing Disciple 1 this year as well! It is been good too...this week was a bad week and I got behind on my reading and couldn't seem to catch up! I agree with your post...He definitely wants to be in relationshop with us! Good luck this year and can't wait to hear how you are doing!
Jennifer
Post a Comment