
Poor Bart has been suffering with allergies this season and is miserable. He is stopped up and has itchy, puffy eyes. Yesterday, I decide to mow the lawn for him and let him stay inside with the kids and watch the end of the Masters. I thought that was nice of me. I had already unpacked the car, luggage, started a load of laundry and gone to the grocery store.
Here is the hiccup - I also asked him to feed the kids nuggets and get our dinner ready. I showed him the recipe for Glazed Salmon with Broccoli Rice. It was in the REAL SIMPLE magazine and seemed very simple. I set out Boil in the Bag Brown Rice and Steamfresh Broccoli (the microwave broccoli) to cook and then mix together. All he had to do was glaze the salmon with brown sugar and soy sauce and broil it. Let's just say that when I came in from mowing the lawn, things had not been as simple as I thought they would be. One look at Bart told me I had thrown him into a war zone with no ammunition! The kitchen was smoky and Bart was exasperated to say the least. I asked who was leading the Masters and he said,'I haven't been able to even look at the television!' He said he didn't know how long to cook the rice, what broil was and that I needed to buy new brown sugar because it was pasty. Well, I don't think I will be letting him cook dinner anytime soon. With that being said, the meal was delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed my time mowing the lawn.
Bless his heart, he is so good to me and takes my abuse. He is the sweetest husband and such a loving father. We are all so blessed to have him in our lives. But we will never ask him to multi-task again!
Glazed Salmon with Broccoli Rice
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup long grain white rice (we used Boil in the Bag Brown Rice)
1 head broccoli (stems discarded),chopped (about 2 cups) we used Steamfresh broccoli
4 pieces skinless salmon fillet (1 1/4 pounds total)
1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
-Heat broiler. In a bowl, combine the sugar and soy sauce; set aside.
-Cook rice according to the package directions, stirring in the broccoli during the last 3 minutes. Let stand off heat until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
-Meanwhile, place the salmon and onion on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and season with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
-Broil, spooning half the sugar and soy sauce glaze over the salmon during the last 2 minutes of cooking, until the salmon is opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve the salmon and onion with the rice and the remaining glaze.